Keethos

General Tyres Questions

Hey all,

Just a couple of quick question that I'm hoping someone can help with.

Firstly, does anyone roughly how much tread you get on a brand new set of tyres e.g. Primacy HP's or say Goodyear F1's?

My fronts are down to 6mm each, my rear passenger side is down to 5 and my rear drivers side is down to 3 (off one cos I had 1 puncture not long ago).  Should I replace just the 3mm tyre or both rears?  There won't be an issue with having front Primacy's and rear Eagle F1's will there?

Thanks

From memory, new tires are around 8 mm.  I really do not like mixing brands front and rear, especially Primacys (note, no apostrophe!) and Goodyear Eagle  F1s, as their grip characteristics are totally different, and that combination could well make your car under-steer a lot.

Well it's just for the winter period so will be driving steadily and when the weather get's bad, I'll be jumping into a Honda Jazz anyways.  Then come spring, new alloys and tyres all round.

I concur with Dave on this one. 

New tyres on the rear is a safer option. I always used to put them on the front, partly because it drove forum experts mad and they claimed I would die instantly. Well, it was more exciting and on the whole I've managed to survive. ;)

Then would it be more advisable to simply replace the 1 tyre that is down to 3mm with another Primacy then?  I'll then have 2x 6mm treads, a 5mm tread and a new 8mm tread.  Have the 8mm and 6mm on the back and then a 6mm and 5mm on the front?