Lauren

Lauren's AE86

The reason is we've been too busy and I did lose interest for a bit when I got the GT. The engine was finished a year ago. Just been busy doing the GT86 stuff. Really there was no rush. 

Will hopefully get it started on Saturday morning. I'm not in a rush to get it insured and MOT'd yet. If we do have an 86 day event in June perhaps I'll aim for that. 

There's a few jobs to do, Keith. The exhaust manifold needs to come off again, there's a leak at the cat which we'll need to make a gasket for and we want to change the bolts for studs so as to prevent any potential cross threading issues. 

New battery.

Exhaust manifold needs wrapping on the primaries again as otherwise the heat melts the dizzy cap. 

Oil the K&N which is a two second job with oil spray. 

The timing marks need painting on the crank pulley so I can time it up. 

I think that's it and then it can go for MOT. 

If Mark sells that bloody MX5 of his then he can drive around in the AE over the summer which will be a good way of getting it out and about and run in. :)

Exhaust manifold wrap finished finally. 

10294225_10151966017951467_2608772392334

Mark had an idea to fit all studs to the head for the exhaust manifold rather than two studs and three bolts:

1959243_10151966018091467_65970378969270

Trouble was we couldn't get the manifold on. So in the end we reverted back to stock. All new Toyota bolts of course. 

Managed to get a downpipe to cat gasket for free from Kwik Fit. Still leaks though. :( So will need a thicker gasket. 

I went to put on the undertray which meant the car was close to being lowered onto it's wheels once more for a celabratory drive around the yard, only to find a drip of coolant. Yep, water pump gone. FFS. That won't be cheap and whilst not quite the hardest job in the world to change is a bit of a PITA. So, not much in the way of progress today. 

Balls, had a thought, changing the water pump is a bit of a PITA. All the belts, crank pulley, timing covers and cam belt need to come off to get at the pump. 

could take a punt on changing the front, but that can be just as much trouble trying to clean the mating surface of old gasket. 

Fun job eh? Put it all back together only to take it apart again! 

Two steps forward, one step back... :wacko:

Is the pump u/s Lauren? Or is it just the gasket?

If the latter you could try Radweld... or the diy favourite, a raw egg in the system when cold and run it up to hot... if it doesn't work you get breakfast.. ;)

Spec K

Well, the car drove for the first time in over two years, albeit round the yard to the contained where it's going to live to see out the winter. 

It started easily enough, everything working okay. I admit, I did a couple of doughnuts in the yard, only to be requested to do a few more by the guys over other side of the yard who service trucks. So I did a few more.  8) 

To be fair they did give me a hand to get it into the container, though I turned down the offer of using a forklift! Thankfully we found some bits of plate steel lying around and used them as ramps to get it in. Was actually quite easy. 

Outside the workshop for the first time since August 2012:
10436347_10152422220116467_2575626812542

The evidence for testing an AE86 does what it's supposed to do:
10857876_10152422261226467_6297794961300

And finally in the container:

1891107_10152422264421467_56185632652782

Great thread Lauren, haven't seen this one before.

Will that container keep the car dry, or is there a risk of condensation? I assume it's vented?

It's sealed, Nige, being a shipping container. There is definitely a risk of condensation. so we've had dessicant hanging for the last month. Some sealing on the roof where the lights are is needed, but that will be done. We will also have power shortly and we have a dehumidifier designed to work in low temps which will go in there, so it should be okay. 

We got this dehumidifier:

http://www.dry-it-out.com/ruby-dry-amber-dry-dh600-dehumidifier

Sounds like your'e on top of that one then Lauren... I only asked because I have been finding droplets of moisture on metal parts in the garage this week.

Hence, my engine parts are now indoors...

Yeah, I was worried about it. To be fair Mark has a lot of stuff stored at the other end of the container and he wants to keep his stuff dry too, so we went halves on the dehumidifier. 

Okay, finally got the car out of the container and got some insurance, which it hasn't had for three years! 

It was a bit tricky getting it out of the container as the clutch had seized on. So we managed to roll it out, without too much trouble, but slightly scraped some underseal off the chassis rails. That can be fixed I think. 

I gave the clutch a go using the starter motor in first gear. That got it free'd off pretty quick and then we drove it around the yard a few times testing the brakes etc:

20 litres of V power went in and then I drove it to RRG Macc' with Mark following in the Yaris full of tools! 

The car drove fine, well, it drove like a thirty year old car, which always takes a bit of getting used to. Thankfully the aircon still blows cold, which was nice and everything worked. 

We got it up onto the ramps at RRG in an attempt to fix the exhaust leak where the manifold joins to the cat:

Alas, despite Mark taking ages to cut a gasket, it still leaked and being aware that Richard had already done us a massive favour we agreed to leave it with him to address the exhaust leak and do a few other minor things. It needs a rear foglight fitting for the MOT and the washer bottle refitting once a new seal has been fitted where the motor sits in the washer bottle. The advantage of being at RRG was that Paul and Dave were to hand and quickly identified that they could still get a seal for the bottle motor and also hopefully for the exhaust. 

Hopefully all will go swimmingly, well as much as one might expect for a car of this age that hasn't been driven for three years. All will be revealed over the next few days I suspect! :)