Danellen2989

Dans GT86 TRD

James - it is demonstrably and blatantly slower off the line!

You cannot rev the damn thing up and slip the clutch - wheelspin is unknown on an auto from standing start... I crawl away from the line until I hit 2800rpm, the turbo kicks in and then it takes off.. I believe this costs me a full second off the line at the TSS..

I'd be happy to take part in a drag race against a manual turbo - or s/charged - just to prove the point..

I am hoping this will change with some new tweaks... looking to develop launch control... we shall see at Blyton..

The auto upshift is quicker than a manual and I think is quoted at 0.2sec... and so is the downshift. An auto driver can fully concentrate on braking, without heel-and-toe and can drop 2/3 gears, with autoblip, in less time than it takes a manual to change down once.. that's where the auto not only feels faster but actually is, in my opinion..

If I was a safety nutter I would ban manual gearboxes... to take one hand off the steering wheel to stir a pudding is perverse as it reduces your steering control by 50%...    might as well leave the indicator and wiper controls on the dashboard... <discuss whilst I darfc..>

Spec K

Having driven Keith's auto enough I can confirm it really is just dire off the line. You just sit there, floor it and wait for something to happen. 

Also if you have the standard auto intergalactic final drive it just makes it even slower, absolutely everywhere. 

I know Keith has changed his final drive which is a significant improvement but there is nothing you can do about launching the auto, it is just not possible. 

Personaly I think Toyota advertised the auto as slower because it is.  :P

Lauren - there are ways to 'launch' an auto.... by left foot braking and rev it to launch speed (spins the rear wheels) as graphically described and practiced in yesteryears by a certain Mr. Smith from the Fens.....

However, it is definitely not recommended with the std. GT86 autobox.

The torque converter, based on the Lexus box, is just not butch enough to take over 250 horses - the standard plates are so thin and the heat generated is so extreme that the metal buckles, I am told... and this is why I am reluctant to pursue my quest at this time for the Growly Hail.

But time (and due diligence) have a propensity to find solutions, allegedly...

Spec K

Yep, I know how to launch an auto, Keith, Mark had an auto MR2 SC which was at the time of it's launch the quickest car 0-30mph on the road. You rev it whilst holding the brake, stall the torque converter then it rips your neck off when you floor it. 

Can't do any of this with the GT though. You could honestly walk off the line quicker. 

Keith are you using an uprated transmission cooler?

James, as far as I know as standard there is no transmission oil cooler, so any one would be an upgrade :)

He he thanks Dave. But I think I remember mark saying something about a trans cooler. But I need not worry my s.c set up pushes less power than Keith's turbo and further more he rags the b jesus out of his car with no trans issues.

So I guess I will be fine on a stock trans cooler. ; )

James, Keith does have quite a few issues with his auto gearbox, that's his biggest problem really. This is why he's thinking of fitting a cooler as well as quite a few other modifications to the gearbox so that it will take the power and so he doesn't suffer the redact problem that the auto box is known for. 

Uprated torque converter/valve body/ trans oil cooler are being fitted next week... hopefully in time  for a gentle test session at Snetterton..

Mike (Hilander) was the first UK owner to have this done, I believe - Mark at Abbey installed it for him.  And he is s/charged...

Spec K

Guys,

Based on the turbo setup I'm going for, should I also be getting an oil cooler and uprated radiator? My car will only be used for road use, and even so, won't be used "to its full potential" 50% of the time. Tony at fensport said I shouldn't need them for what I'm using my car for, however I've also been advised differently by a member?

Reason I'm asking is because if it's going to be a necessity and the difference between my engine blowing up or not, I need to find the extra money somewhere! Lol

Any input would be appreciated

Nah no need if only road use.. Only if you track will you hit crazy temps. On road flooring it now and again is not beating on the car... I asked the same question for my super charger.. Answer was no need for mainly fast road use!

But if you got deeper pockets than me you might as well install it. Your list is big for a 50% kinda guy so just add all you can. No harm in running cooler temps.

Ok so last few days (whilst eagerly waiting for my fensport appointment) I thought I'd do a couple of things:

post-497-0-13264700-1404897012_thumb.jpg

Installed a beatsonic arial to get rid of the original black thing!

And also, ready for my turbo set up:

post-497-0-74348600-1404897071_thumb.jpg

A P3 gauge. Easy to install and looks fantastic. Functionality is also very good. Thank you to Tony at Fensport for sending.

Next update will be when my car is with fensport next month! :D

In my opinion, you feel the difference while you're driving, it feels...well....more positive, it does become a bit stiffer to get it into gear but it does feel like it locks into to gear better.....since it's only £30 odd, why not?  Plus Fensport will most likely fit it for you for free since you're getting other work done, I went to get a remap and they actually took another car off the ramp, jacked mine up, fitted the mount and back down again within 15mins and didn't charge me for it.

Ok so today I delivered my car to fensport and met the fensport team and had a good long chat with Adrian. First and foremost what a lovely bunch of people, really accommodating and really confident my car is in good hands.

They will be installing a stage 3 turbo set up for me and should run at about 300+ horses at the end of the work. Picking the car up on Friday. According to Adrian this will be only the second TRD that he has done a turbo conversion to.

For the duration, I have a hire car which is....wait for it... A Nissan micra! The way I'm looking at it is when I get into the GT86 at the end of the week, the contrast will be that much more ;)