JamesP1991

My Silver Project 86

What's the plan come MOT time? Not many running without a cat...

Plan will be to just put the stock front pipe with second cat back in for it to be MOT'd. With the two post lift it is an easy 5 minute job and to be honest for a once a year chore I really don't mind having to do it.

But that is a good 18 months away anyway!

Cheers for the advice Lauren! Given I haven't ventured out on to the track yet with her these tyres are going to last a hell of a long time!

In the wet I find the stock primacys can be a bit unpredictable though, how is your experience? In the dry I feel it right through my bum long before the car does anything. But In bad weather once, I was going round a roundabout near my house in 3rd gear at low speed, gently breathed on the throttle and the back end came swing round without warning! Good job I was on my toes!

No worries, James. :)

I find them okay in the wet, but obviously if you're a little judicious with the throttle you will be going sideways quite quickly, so smoothness pays off, with a grippier tyre it'll hold on longer in the wet but the same rules apply. Once the diff locks up, that's it of course. :)

James, after listening to loads and loads of you tube videos over and over again, the resonated system ticked all the boxes for me a deep burble but also quiet if needed.

with regards to the gear selection that's something I'm not going to spoil for you.

That is exactly what I did! I listened to countless hours of video footage from guys who had the Borla header fitted with either catted resonated or decat pipes.

I have always loved loud cars to be honest (grown up around them), and as it isn't a daily driver I wanted the car to feel raw, untamed and race car like in it's tone when I drove it. I have already got used to the increased noise volumes on the Motorway, and to be honest cruising along at 70 without much fluctuation in throttle, I hardly notice much difference to when I had the stock header installed. 

We can listen to lots at the PI it would seem, should be a good evening.

Yes I am really looking forward to it Kevin! I really want to sit in and experience a couple of turbo cars that evening to feel just how much of a step up they are compared with N/A cars. 

No worries, James. :)

I find them okay in the wet, but obviously if you're a little judicious with the throttle you will be going sideways quite quickly, so smoothness pays off, with a grippier tyre it'll hold on longer in the wet but the same rules apply. Once the diff locks up, that's it of course. :)

I generally am rather smooth behind the wheel to be honest Lauren, but sometimes the car almost teases you into pushing it above the limit off hairpins and tight corners :) 

All that experience racing karts when I was younger doesn't rub off easy, Sliding=Slow after all! 

I admit, I like going sideways too much to fit a grippier tyre. Well I did try it and found it made the car boring so going back to OEM tyres in ten days time. It was putting on the winter tyres last November that made me realise how much more fun is less grip.

Sliding can be faster it just depends really. Above all I like to enjoy myself. A fast lap may bring a smile, but a sideways lap normally results in a lot more than smiling. I know which I prefer. ;)

Just more for my interest more than anything else, but given you've got the same width and size wheels as me and your's are cast copies of mine, do you know much they weigh? 

Just more for my interest more than anything else, but given you've got the same width and size wheels as me and your's are cast copies of mine, do you know much they weigh? 

Just seen this Lauren, my apologies! 

I do believe the 17" version of the JR3's are around the 8kg mark, so around 1kg heavier than stock (I think?) so not too bad in my view. The reason I didn't go for Volks or Rays was that I wanted to save my money for doing more of the mechanicals underneath, as my budget isn't endless. 

I would have in a perfect world, but going for a lightweight wheel wasn't my priority, pushing the N/A aspects of the engine was as well as getting a nicer suspension and brake setup. 

Do you know how much your set weighs in comparison then? 

To be fair a lighter wheel will do much more for handling and suspension characteristics then people think... All about reducing unsprung weight :)

Not that I can talk, think my Compomotives are 11kg, just went for the design, plus can't beat a classic rally wheel

My wheels weigh 7.4kg. Although the powder coating adds 200g it seems! Yes, lighter wheels make a surprising difference to the handling. Stock wheels are 9.2kg. Volk Racing wheels are made by Rays Engineering BTW. ;)

My wheels cost me £830 all in including the refurb, but you have to really keep a look out for these, they don't come up very often!

Mark my wheels weren't cracked. One had a dink in the rim. I just got them refurbed where they dealt with that as well. Was at Diamond Wheels in Stockport. 

I did look for an exact weight of your wheel, but the nearest I could find was the Rota Grid 17x8 which is 8.3kg. Would expect yours to be similar. 

Cheers buddy! Working my way progress wise with her slowly but surely :)

How do you find the N1? I personally love it! People moan about the drone but to be honest I must be immune to it as I never feel it's too deafening!

You will love the car with the decat pipe though, really brings the N1 to life, very deep and not tinny in the slightest!

Yes I am driving down on the Friday before Japfest so will be there in the evening mate :) Car will be mapped and have the power blocks installed by then too!

Will take you out for a spin round the block that night in her if you want? So you can hear how the Borla changes the exhaust tone! It really helps a lot with mid range torque and it makes the car literally scream above 5.5k!

Me too mate slowly but surely, test fitted my new wheels today just need to wait till after 16th when it goes into service.

The drone first time I started it was like oh thats loud but then now I don't hear it, can happily hold a conversation in car at normal driving then foot down yes its loud but that's exactly what I wanted  :) overpipe and front pipe being fitted after service too can't wait.

I will be there Friday evening too would love to go for a spin  :P  never know may order the header as soon as we get out your car  ;)

To be fair a lighter wheel will do much more for handling and suspension characteristics then people think... All about reducing unsprung weight :)

Not that I can talk, think my Compomotives are 11kg, just went for the design, plus can't beat a classic rally wheel

Wow 11kgs is heavy mate! Are yours 18's? That is why I went for 17's as they would be lighter than a set of 18's so at least I would be able to save a bit of weight that way. 

Agree with Jamie in the wheels - mine are about 2kg lighter than stock each and you can definitely feel a difference!

What kind of difference do you feel Deacon? Is there one specific area where you think the car has really come alive compared to the stock wheels?

My wheels weigh 7.4kg. Although the powder coating adds 200g it seems! Yes, lighter wheels make a surprising difference to the handling. Stock wheels are 9.2kg. Volk Racing wheels are made by Rays Engineering BTW. ;)

My wheels cost me £830 all in including the refurb, but you have to really keep a look out for these, they don't come up very often!

Mark my wheels weren't cracked. One had a dink in the rim. I just got them refurbed where they dealt with that as well. Was at Diamond Wheels in Stockport. 

I did look for an exact weight of your wheel, but the nearest I could find was the Rota Grid 17x8 which is 8.3kg. Would expect yours to be similar. 

I think I had a bit of  brain fade there Lauren?! Not sure why I said they were 7kgs the stock wheels, otherwise many lightweight wheels would be heavier than stock... Doh! 

Aftermarket wheel knowledge has never been my forte ;) 

The ball park figure I got for my wheels was from a different thread on the other Owners Club forum.Given they are basically the same design as the Rota Grid's I would assume the weight would be near identical, however next time I take them off I will be sure to chuck them on a set of digital scales for you ;) 

Me too mate slowly but surely, test fitted my new wheels today just need to wait till after 16th when it goes into service.

The drone first time I started it was like oh thats loud but then now I don't hear it, can happily hold a conversation in car at normal driving then foot down yes its loud but that's exactly what I wanted  :) overpipe and front pipe being fitted after service too can't wait.

I will be there Friday evening too would love to go for a spin  :P  never know may order the header as soon as we get out your car  ;)

Yeah I have to hold myself back sometimes in terms of splashing out too much money on her otherwise the missus starts to complain ;) 

It is definitely something that grows on you. Albeit now with my header fitted to remove the primary cat,the ability to have a conversation is reduced quite a lot, but my tolerances are probably a lot higher than other people who use the car every day so I take is as part of the character of the car! 

After the rest of the exhaust has been fitted do you have any other plans for the car?

Awesome, There has to be a little side road nearby we can open her up so you can hear how the exhaust note develops across all RPM, and of course the obligatory wide open throttle launch :)

I can tell you James about my experience of going from OEM wheels to my TE37s which are 1.8kg lighter than stock. The car feels more alert, quicker to respond, almost like it's light on it's feet, which sounds absolutely ridiculous but it's what always springs to mind! 

A lighter wheel will mean faster reacting suspension, which can be run softer, also it will accelerate and decelerate more quickly. It's a win, win, though the only slight downside can be the ride is a little more fidgety. In terms of performance though it's win, win. 

I actually thought I'd never be able to tell when I put the lightweight wheels on, but the difference surprised me! 

Yes, 8.3kg if they're the same as Rota's is what I'd expect, but it's still lighter, so you've got 50% of the gain I have with my even lighter wheels. 

Been a bit naughty this evening and was looking at different bits I can do to help improve the engine bay and finally made my mind up!

So tomorrow lunchtime I'll be purchasing the Samco cooling hose kit in blue and a blitz radiator cap!

I'll also be gutting out the noise generator at the weekend to quieten down the cabin and shed some extra weight! As I have the cap to seal off the noise generator hole on the suction kit :)

So the postie delivered these today from Fensport :)

post-1091-0-07717400-1426186543_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-74342500-1426186592_thumb.jp

Just need to get round to fitting them now! Anyone else bought and fitted the samco cooling set yet? Was it pretty simple?

Had a look under the bonnet and it seemed easy enough, just need to get the car on a lift to get to the pipes further down.

So yesterday I was bored of seeing the box sitting in my room and decided to get to work on installing the pipes! It ended up being nearly a 3 hour job but it was thoroughly worth it and I love the look of the engine bay now.

Firstly the problems, to begin with my trolley jack at home was not low enough to get underneath the car to the front jacking point! So after completely forgetting to use the spare tyre jack to raise the car just enough to get under it, I ended up borrowing a low floor jack from a neighbour of mine.

In addition to that, the clips used for the cooling pipes are just hideous spring loaded ones that are a right pain in the ass to both lock and shake off the lip of the pipes. It was here that me and my brother spent most of our time doing the job. The actual job took just 30mins, it was the clips that gobbled up the majority of the time!

Makes me wonder why they didn't use jubilee clips as standard like a lot of aftermarket parts? Especially as they so much easier to work with!

Anyway after much swearing I am pleased with how they turned out, and the engine bay is looking rather fresh now! Tested the system and there are no leaks so hopefully I have no problems :)

Here are a few pictures from the work!

On the jack ready to go:

post-1091-0-21657300-1426423582_thumb.jp

Front jacking point just infront of the bash plate:

post-1091-0-34905900-1426423788_thumb.jp

Pipes on the left hand side were fairly simple to fit:

post-1091-0-35408800-1426423972_thumb.jp

Bottom pipe was a bit harder due to the location so the intake had to be removed (note we spent 1 hour trying to remove the spring loaded clip under the car due to it not locking open):

post-1091-0-93133600-1426424082_thumb.jp

Finished product with coolant back in and everything back in place:

post-1091-0-18255700-1426424336_thumb.jp

Overall I was very happy with the result and it was well worth the hassle :)

They use those clips over jubilee because its a mass produciton engine/vehicle... The clips are supplied open and its a 1 second job to activate them, a jubilee clip would take longer and cost more.

The reason why you struggled to lock them open is because they're not designed to be locked again with pliers, the supplier uses a special machine to do it... Have a video of it somewhere on my work PC (well a similar clip from a ZR engine).