JamesP1991

My Silver Project 86

They use those clips over jubilee because its a mass produciton engine/vehicle... The clips are supplied open and its a 1 second job to activate them, a jubilee clip would take longer and cost more.

The reason why you struggled to lock them open is because they're not designed to be locked again with pliers, the supplier uses a special machine to do it... Have a video of it somewhere on my work PC (well a similar clip from a ZR engine).

Funny you should say that, we did joke after completing the job that the manufacturer and suppliers probably have a special tool to open up the clip very easily and that we were pretty dumb to use pliers!

Ended up keeping the spring loaded ones on the top pipes and just replaced the ones on the main pipe with jubilees for ease :)

Be great to see that footage of the machine they use!

Just a quick update from today!

Hopefully all being well I should be purchasing Nigel's ACT clutch and flywheel kit at the start of April.

There was a problem RE fitting it however before Japfest. So I spoke with Dan at Fensport today and the closest date the workshop is free is the 8th May. Thankfully they can squeeze me in for the morning to fit both the clutch and flywheel kit and then take me out in the afternoon to get the car mapped properly!

So whilst i have had to delay my appointment by a week from the 29th I should have everything fitted and finished just in time for Japfest the following weekend!

I'd call that a result, very happy :)

great thread this - enjoying it.  :)

I keep hearing all these good things about the Fensport remap and May 12th cant come quick enough for mine  :(

Thank you buddy, I am trying my best to document as much as possible :) 

Don't worry, I will be doing a full run down on here on the 8th when I get home regarding how the day went.  I'll go into how I feel where the map has improved the car and how much it makes a difference on the road. It is going to be like night and day I predict in terms of performance so I am so excited! 

Not that, that will help you run down the time quicker before you go and visit them!  :lol:

Hopefully all being well I should be purchasing Nigel's ACT clutch and flywheel kit at the start of April.

:)

Hopefully??? It's yours mate!! I may even take it to Snetterton next weekend so you don't have to pay the postage? I'm sure Dave will happily take it into work for fitting.

Hopefully??? It's yours mate!! I may even take it to Snetterton next weekend so you don't have to pay the postage? I'm sure Dave will happily take it into work for fitting.

Snetterton be good to see you Nigel !!

I would really appreciate that Nigel! As I can imagine postage will be around another £15-£20??

If for whatever reason he can't take it back to the workshop ready to fit on the car in May though, just let me know and I will pay for the cost of the postage to send it to me :)

Looks I like I will be coming along to Snetterton for the 1st round of the TSS after all given my karting enduro no longer clashes :) 

Unfortunately it will be just as a spectator, but anyone who wanted to hear what my exhaust solution sounds like now, Sunday will be your chance. I will also be picking up the ACT Clutch and Flywheel kit from Nige so It can sit on my shelf at home and tease me for the next month until I go to Fensport! 

I was also looking at a couple of other bits today. I reckon I will also be getting the whiteline positive shift kit, a Blitz oil filter to add some bling to the engine bay and a Summit front strut brace whilst I am at Fensport! 

My bank balance is going to cry after May! 

So I am becoming inpatient with waiting to go to Fensport in May, so this afternoon I ended up speaking with Chris from TarmacSportz regarding a few products and have accidentally bought a few more goodies to go on the car. 

So from next week these will be bolted on to the 86:

Agency Power Strut Brace 

post-1091-0-10283400-1427465041_thumb.jp

K&N Gold Performance Oil Filter

post-1091-0-73104500-1427465053_thumb.jp

Cusco Radiator Cap

post-1091-0-05029600-1427465060_thumb.jp

Just got to pick up the clutch/flywheel from Nige on Sunday and the car will start taking shape for Japfest! 

So was a pleasure to meet you all on Sunday for the first time at the TSS.

It was great meeting Nige in person and talking to him about his plans for his crazy Rocket Bunny project. It also gave me the chance to collect this little beauty off him at last, ACT clutch and flywheel:

post-1091-0-78980200-1427829424_thumb.jp

It is now going to sit on my shelf for the next month and tease me until I visit Fensport :(

My order from Tarmacsportz is also on its way, so overall it's been a good week for car related bits!

Good meeting you too dude, if you don't get a chance to visit your dealer before Fensport, just as Dave to have a look for you, they're great like that.

Forgot to mention that Keith! Got it on a lift this morning at my local tyre garage and saw that the top of my catback was slightly rubbing my prop.. So when the prop slightly flexed it tapped the exhaust and created that loud vibration sound!

Managed to clamp the rubber bracket at the back of the car a bit to drag the catback down for now, but next week I'm getting my frontpipe custom bracket extended a bit which should offer a more permanent solution in lowering the pipe a bit.

Thank you for offering to give it a listen though :)

So got round to fitting the Agency Power front strut brace today in the sunshine!

It fitted like a breeze with hardly any effort and will give her a good drive tomorrow to see what kind of difference it makes with initial turn in and front end responsiveness :)

Engine bay doesn't look too bad now!

post-1091-0-04107700-1428246704_thumb.jp

Just a quick update from me really to outline where I want to take my car over the next 12-18 months. 

Current fitted mods:

• Borla UEL Catless Manifold 
  • Custom Made Titanium wrapped overpipe (IWS Developments)
  • Custom Made Catless Frontpipe (IWS Developments)
  • Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust 
  • Blitz Panel Filter 
  • Blitz Suction Kit 
  • Agency Power Red Front Strut Brace
  • Cusco high pressure 1.3 Radiator Cap 
  • Samco Radiator Hose Kit in Blue
  • Japan Racing JR3 17x8" Wheels
  • TEIN 25mm Lowering Springs 
  • Noise Generator Delete

Next stop is Fensport in May to get the car mapped with the Ecutek Software and also to install the ACT clutch and Flywheel. I look forward to seeing how the car reacts, given I have the following setup now installed to improve flow: 

• Borla UEL Catless Manifold 
  • Custom Made Titanium wrapped overpipe (IWS Developments)
  • Custom Made Catless Frontpipe (IWS Developments)
  • Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust 
  • Blitz Panel Filter 
  • Blitz Suction Kit 

To be fitted: 

• ACT clutch and Flywheel

After the trip to Fensport, we then have Japfest a couple of weeks later. After that weekend that is when I am going to get my head down and start saving hard as by the end of 2015 I want to have a few more items fitted. 

These include: 

• MFactory 4.67 Final Drive
  • Koni Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear  
  • Stoptech Brake Kit including lines, discs and pads. 
  • Aluminium Propshaft - maybe?

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_3/4604 

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4459 

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/GT86_StopTech_Power_Brake_Discs/GT86-GT86-StopTech-Power-Brake-Discs.aspx

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/GT86_StopTech_Performance_brake_pads/GT86-GT86-StopTech-pads.aspx

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/GT86_StopTech_Brake_Lines/GT86-GT86-StopTech-Brake-Lines.aspx

I have been toying with the idea of a shorter final drive for some time. I have seen people rave about them on the FT86 forum on their N/A builds and the in gear acceleration improvements seem very appealing. With the 4.67 kit, theoretical top speed will be 153mph at 7500rpm and given I really don't give a toss about an increase of 2-300rpm at 70mph cruising speed, I think the pro's far outweigh the cons. Without the big power of FI pushing me along, a shift left of the gear ratio's is the next best thing. 

I want the shocks to fit inside my TEIN 25mm springs I have already installed and give me some adjustability for when I hit the track later on in the year. Stock brakes are reasonably good, however do like to overheat rather rapidly, so StopTech will be my preferred choice shortly after the Summer hopefully. 

Lightweight Ali Propshaft... we will see how many pennies I have left after the above?! :P

By the end of 2015 if all things go to plan, everything will be on the car ready for the next phase in 2016. I will be staying N/A and instead of going the FI route, I want to see how far I can push this FA20 lump within my own budget. My ideal will be a stroker kit in the early months of next year, with pistons, cams and valves etc.

I see a few weeks back that HKS have released their 2.1L stroker kit: http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/engine/capacity/fa20.html 

However we still have 9 or so months of development until I am ready to buy a stroker kit, so it may be, by that point a revised and increased 2.2L kit may be available on the market. Who knows... 

This is just my own POA for the next 12 months or so. I want to be different, I don't want to go FI, I want to push this cars N/A ability within my own budget and hopefully come March/April next year I will be happy to say it is unique :)

Anyway who wouldn't want to see what a stroked and uprated N/A FA20 will go and sound like? :D

I will keep this thread updated as I go, next up will be a full round up of my day at Fensport on the 8th May. 

Sounds good James, have you thought about the ITB route or do you reckon it'd be out of reach budget (and practicality) wise? They're probably the worst mod in terms of the power gained for money spent but oh my do they sound good!

*edit* Don't think there are many about at the moment but that doesn't mean there won't be, neither do I know how do-able it is.

Sounds good James, have you thought about the ITB route or do you reckon it'd be out of reach budget (and practicality) wise? They're probably the worst mod in terms of the power gained for money spent but oh my do they sound good!

*edit* Don't think there are many about at the moment but that doesn't mean there won't be, neither do I know how do-able it is.

Whilst in a perfect world I would do it solely for the noise, I think budget constraints and the missus will side firmly against it! 

I know the likes of Toda are already releasing larger TB's (68mm) for the FA20 platform, so if the ITB dream goes to pot, I will go that route instead. I know that the stock TB on the engine is rather large for an N/A application (65mm), however I might be looking at a custom or aftermarket intake manifold when they start appearing on the market. At which point a larger TB will be more beneficial and worth the investment. 

The aim first is to save enough for the stroker kit though, get the uprated cams, valves and pistons installed and then worry about TB's and intake manifolds, but if examples start appearing on the market soon I will look for feedback from over the pond (they always get the good bits first). The quality of parts on the market will determine what bits I buy first in what order!

Let's see where this goes eh?! :D 

So not long now until Friday and I finally get to travel to Fensport, it has been a long time in waiting!

I've been looking this week at a few other bits I'll probably get whilst visiting.

One thing that did catch my eye was the white line positive shift kit.. Has anyone had any experience of it on their car and what do you make of it??

Just wanted some feedback before I go on and buy it really :)

Cheers for the feedback Keith, was curious as to whether it was a bit of a gimmick or actually worth the money. Seemed worth a punt as it is rather cheap!

One of many little accessories I'm probably going to end up buying whilst I'm there haha

I have it on mine and I'd agree with Keith, it's very good for the cash - one thing to bear in mind though is it does add a chunk of nvh.

Cheers fella! It does seem very reasonable for the money! I don't mind a bit of extra noise and vibration to be honest, i am after all already running probably the loudest 86 in the country haha!