Tweedbean

tweedbean's GT86

I'd say drop all badges, as than people will have a horrible time working out what car it is! With all badges on mine, someone still asked whether it was a Maserati?!?!

Goes to show, even though the car has been released for 3 years now, the sheer lack of knowledge from people on the road as to what it is, is amazing! Shows how rare our cars still are ;)

I'd say drop all badges, as than people will have a horrible time working out what car it is! With all badges on mine, someone still asked whether it was a Maserati?!?!

Goes to show, even though the car has been released for 3 years now, the sheer lack of knowledge from people on the road as to what it is, is amazing! Shows how rare our cars still are ;)

BRZ Side Vents

Today I finally got around to fitting my BRZ side vents, personally I think they look much better as the stock GT86 ones are too plain and look like a panel for a panel sake as they are very plain with just a logo and a tiny vent.  Nice and easy to fit, only tools were a screw driver and a heat gun to clear some of the glue away from the old ones.

Before:

17209053186_2164574f8b_o.jpgStock vents by tweedbean, on Flickr

During:

17234451601_9172326f03_o.jpgVents removed by tweedbean, on Flickr

After:

17233273502_0e805a1b23_o.jpgBRZ vent fitted by tweedbean, on Flickr

Very pleased with the new look.  It is literally a 5 minute job and well worth it:

17048825329_8fb2ea70ef_o.jpgBRZ Vent Fitted by tweedbean, on Flickr

Still sifting through tonnes of photos to try and find a set of wheels I like for this.  So many to choose from and currently nothing is doing it for me.  Going to keep going and I will find the right set eventually.

Wheel Time

So its time for another update, this ones is a bit more tasty.  After a lot of deliberation around wheels for the past 3 weeks, with me sending a 101 photoshops to Rich@Orranje Performance, I finally decided on a set of wheels.  Having fitted Japanese wheels, Volks CE28n's to my german MINI Clubman, I thought now I have a Japanese car, its time for a set of Germans wheels.  Always wanting to try something different, I have gone for something different to what you normally see on the GT86 and hopefully I have made the right choice.

So today after a road trip to Wembley, I am the proud owner of a set of BBS RSii's which are a two piece wheel 18x8 et 33.  The previous owner had these are a rather nice Audi TT and has just had them refurbished however me being me, I am not content with just sticking them on the car.  So they are split down and ready to go to the powder coaters for something a bit special.  I also need to decide if I want to reuse the bolts  and polish them up or go for some new ones.  A new set of BBS centre will be ordered in complimentary colour.  Time for some pictures:

17093399458_88d4c82fb5_o.jpgWheels in transit by tweedbean, on Flickr

17255196616_8b8514d5ac_o.jpgWheels in transit by tweedbean, on Flickr

16658716434_23c74ce97c_o.jpgBBS RSii by tweedbean, on Flickr

17281165375_1be152ea76_o.jpgAll spilt down by tweedbean, on Flickr

Next up are coilovers to get the car sitting a little lower and I also need to decide on which tyres to wrap around these wheels, I am thinking 225 40 18 but not sure on brand just yet.

Definitely an interesting choice of wheels there, looking forward to what you do with them and to see them actually on the car....car to share the photoshop pic too so to give us an idea on how it'll look?

Just looking through your photostream on Flickr, did you go to that awful car show at Rockingham last year? Looks like you were parked right next to where we were, though we had left by midday the first day it was so shit.

Just looking through your photostream on Flickr, did you go to that awful car show at Rockingham last year? Looks like you were parked right next to where we were, though we had left by midday the first day it was so shit.

Ha yes we took a load of Mini's there on the Sunday, we didn't do the Saturday for some reason.  If it wasn't for us ending up going out on the track most of us would have left after an hour as it was dead.  

Thanks, they were dropped off last night at the powder coaters to be stripped back and refurbed in a different colour scheme entirely. I also have new centre caps etc on order so hopefully these should come together pretty quickly.

A new pair of number plates have arrived today, not a big change but Toyota had drilled the original ones wonky so they didn't sit straight and they also supplied them with the GB logo which makes them cluttered.

I have also been reading into coilovers over the past few days. Previously I was set in BC's as we have an account with them so get them cheap plus I was a big fan of them in the MINI. However after reading about the rear knocking and speaking to BC directly yesterday I am not impressed that their resolution is to just remove the rear top mounts and tell people to fit there original oem mounts. For me they should revise the parts, fixing the problem and the reissue replacements. That's not good and has put me off.

So I'm looking at the Teins now, interested to hear about the new Flex z's so I'm going to speak to a few suppliers today hopefully to get an idea of price. I also like the fact I can then fit EDFC in the future.

So lots of bits have been ordered over the last couple of weeks to try and get the car ready for Japfest on 16th May, bit thanks to Rich@Orranje Performance for his help on this.

Coilovers
I was very close to ordering a set of BC coilovers, however due to the recent issues they have been having with the GT86 rears, I wasnt a fan of the way they decided to remove bits and get customers to rectify themselves rather than fixing the problem.  Therefore I decided that the Tein's seem to be highly rated for Japanese cars so why not give them a go.  After reviewing the options, the Tein Street Flex Z seemed to fit my requirements and they also have the ability for me to fit EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) at a later date, making it possible for me to control the damping force at the touch of a button while in the driver's seat.  Amber Performance were really competitive on price so they got my business.

17232203898_353c41aa29_o.jpgOvernight parts from Japan by tweedbean, on Flickr

17210556967_e0f078173b_o.jpgTein Flex Z Coilovers for the GT86 by tweedbean, on Flickr

17418012992_7a79db4dbc_o.jpgTein Flex Z Coilovers for the GT86 by tweedbean, on Flickr

17232407190_671464f4f7_o.jpgTein Flex Z Coilovers for the GT86 by tweedbean, on Flickr

Tyres
For the tyres I decided to go for 225 40 18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's as I was really impressed with them on the Clubby so I though I would give them a go on this.

17210608007_3359edd25e_o.jpg225 40 18 VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA's by tweedbean, on Flickr

Wheels
So the BBS RSii's are back from the powder coaters and I am really pleased with them.  I have gone for two different colours, one of which is chrome powder coat for the lip, barrels and centre caps.  I did contemplate getting the lips and centre caps polished however that would require more upkeep than I can be bothered with for a set of wheels, especially as this is a DD, so I think the powder coat looks the part and will be harder wearing.  The second I will let you know in due course once the wheels are on the car.  I have always tried to go a little different and hopefully I have achieved this.

The only photo I have to share with you right now is a really poor one of the centre caps ;)

17420324565_3ce33450d1_o.jpgCentre Caps by tweedbean, on Flickr

Performance
This hasn't been forgotten as I am not build a show and shine car here ;)  I have been weighing up my options with the Avo turbo and the numerous supercharger conversions, pulling together a list of parts and prices.  I am still not 100% sure, so my plan is to get to a number of shows/track days this year and hopefully get a ride in a car with each of these kits to see the difference in the real world rather than on paper.  I dont want to start buying performances parts such as unequal length manifolds, exhausts etc now if they wont work with the FI route I decide upon, so until then the suspension, interior and exterior will get me attention.

It seems like I will have a busy weekend as I need to rebuild the wheels then get the over to the tyre place to get the tyres fitted, then get back to Rich's to fit the coilovers and wheels to the car.  I also have a couple of small jobs like switching over number plates and finishing the debadging on the rear.

Bulbs
I also have some chrome indicator bulbs on the way, 4xT20 and 2xT10, so I can loose the fried egg look.

Wow you have been busy! Do you know what the spring rates are for the Teins? Guessing 6/6kg. 

It's coming together nicely by the looks of it. Just out of interest have you used those tyres on track before? I only ask because with such big tread blocks I wonder if they will suffer the same issues as the old F1 GSD3's did whereby the tread blocks overheated and delaminated due to moving around too much. I'm not familiar with the tyres you have chosen I do admit. 

Thanks, yes 6/6kg springs.

Tyres yes I used them on a couple of sprint days and rockingham last year on they clubby and my other mini. They were recommended to me by a friend who used to work with the mini challenge cars.

Wheels

So who would have thought rebuilding 2 piece wheels would be so time consuming.  We lost a whole day on Saturday running around getting the right tools after I discovered the bolt holes had become contaminated with powder coat which meant it was too tight for the bolts.  A break down in communication with the powder coaters meant I thought they would cover the holes and they assumed that if I hadnt blocked them, they didnt need to, lesson learnt. 

So we had to get a tap and die set for m7/1.0mm t0 clear all threads in the 60 bolt holes, not a fun job.  Then after rebuilding all  four wheels, I managed to round 5 bolts which meant I could not then torque up them up to the right setting.  Therefore I needed a bolt extractor kit, which I will try tomorrow and I have also had the privilege of paying £27 for just 10 m7 BBS bolts, ouch.  I thought it was better to buy 10 and have a few spare just in case.  So by the end of Saturday the wheels looked like this, colour removed so I dont spoiler surprise and coilovers still in the box:

17521961055_97cb46fc2b_h.jpgWheels are a work in progress by James Baker, on Flickr

17378686368_3398166311_z.jpgBBS bolts by James Baker, on Flickr

Bulbs

While online I decided to order replacement chrome indicator bulbs all round which I will fit later:

16910233113_b805e21a49_o.jpgChrome bulbs by James Baker, on Flickr

I am tempted to take the day off on Friday to fit the wheels and coilovers ready for Japfest on Saturday.  Lets see how I get on with removing those bolts tomorrow which will determine if I can get the wheels sorted before the weekend or not.

Good effort, but what a PITA split rims are. 

I agree, but they will be worth it. 

Chrome Bulbs

So I had 5 mins literally spare so decided to swap my indicator bulbs to chrome ones.  Front and rears are T20:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130747930993?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Before:

17612073771_27e31f26a2_h.jpgStock bulb by James Baker, on Flickr

After:

17612062591_ae2ea2f142_h.jpgChrome bulbs after by James Baker, on Flickr

Before:

16989521694_08c4c0f8fd_h.jpgStock bulb by James Baker, on Flickr

After:

17424193018_e038d23253_h.jpgChrome bulbs after by James Baker, on Flickr

I didnt have chance to do the side markers yet but these are t10's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301590027406?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wheels

The wheels are all ready to go for tyres now, then fitting.  On one I had 4 bolts with round threads, a hammer and torx bit later and they were out and replaced with new bolts :)  Friday is booked off from work so I can get these and coilovers on, very excited.

Debadge

I finished the debadge on the rear to clear it up a little.  I will get that toyota badge off when I have other bits going in for paints as there are holes behind it.  Much tidier:

17609663892_9787dbbfb6_h.jpgDebadge completed by James Baker, on Flickr

So the wheels are on, I decided to go for a light minty green colour as something different that I think works well with the white pearl.  I added contrast with red centres and a chrome lip and centre.  It needs to go a little lower but I ran out of time to adjust it further, will pick that up another day:

17553560190_1dbb0a81b6_h.jpgWheels in progress by James Baker, on Flickr

17119108794_60ee5d3a62_h.jpgBBS RS2 by James Baker, on Flickr

And the coilovers:

17553555450_433a4f909d_h.jpgCoilovers on by James Baker, on Flickr

And the beatrush master cylinder brace:

17554819019_e6259efd9a_h.jpgBeatrush Master Cylinder brace fitted by James Baker, on Flickr

Finally the wheels on the car:

17741135345_53d8a2956a_h.jpgNew Wheels by James Baker, on Flickr

17118660634_a54828bfee_h.jpgNew Wheels by James Baker, on Flickr

I also attend my first show in the GT86, Japfest at Castle Coombe, it was great to put some names to faces:

17555341279_af1eb302e4_c.jpgJapfest 2015 by James Baker, on Flickr