Rallyenick

Nicks white 86

Hi all,

I've been a long time forum lurker reading up on these cars for a long time, after growing tired of my vxr. I happened to meet the HKS Europe rep at good wood festival of speed and had a look around his car, which sold the 86 to me! A month later and I was a proud owner of a 2014 white manual gt86!!

I thought I'd pop some photos up off my car now I've done a few little mods on and also some of my previous cars.

Below is a list of mods done so far, I know it's not an awful lot and everyone will have seen these mods all ready :) hopefully will be purchasing coilovers and wheels before Japfest.

Mods:

- Valenti tail lights

- HKS premium suction intake

- Cusco front strut brace with master cylinder stopper

- JDM blue intake cover

- Tein flex Z Coilovers (yet to be installed)

- Perrin front endlinks (yet to be installed)

- SuperPro rear camber bushes (yet to be installed)

266295a60cf867912f2d4ad5e1cc7bcb.jpg

6621ed9444e3e39c1aaf867f596fb07d.jpg

1ca419e2a1edc2bc8931d273570138e4.jpg

37c5b2cd4b9f37eda1cc6afd57be6119.jpg

ae94f45f23bff669bde21c5531adef02.jpg

5f95a8090cb51cbc35eeec4895d2e4e7.jpg

ed43be0c79d52cecf95903441296c910.jpg

0f39b5390723c79ffb0a4c9e8bf15f33.jpg

7f1bc6372a8496ecaea00a850c071899.jpg

Hopefully the mods will keep on rolling :)

Will be good to meet some off you at Japfest and have a nose around your cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Nick, welcome aboard. I see you've already been busy with mods! 

Get booked up for Japfest, should be a great show. Also look out for some local meets, there's often stuff going on darn south. :)

Hi Nick, welcome aboard. I see you've already been busy with mods! 

Get booked up for Japfest, should be a great show. Also look out for some local meets, there's often stuff going on darn south.

Thanks Lauren, I'm already booked up for the club stand for Japfest :D

So I am paying for a set of these bad boys tomorrow

6b1b28cc97dfd7cd30375459b0386352.jpg

Have read so many positive reviews on these, I was a little worried with them being so "competitively" priced, and I know with coilovers you really do get what you pay for, but I couldn't ignore the price and the positive reviews

I also think I have made my mind up on my new wheels that I shall be getting hopefully at the beginning of March from Japan.

Good choice, lots of us running Tein coilovers on here. :) 

Check the spring rates. Most go for 6/6kg rather than the stock 7/7kg as the latter is a little hard for UK roads. I run 5/6kg rates, but you'd need to ask your supplier to speak to Tein and ask for 'Lauren spring rates', so I've been told! 5/6kg makes the car a bit more lairy though, so it's not to all tastes. 

Good choice, lots of us running Tein coilovers on here.  

Check the spring rates. Most go for 6/6kg rather than the stock 7/7kg as the latter is a little hard for UK roads. I run 5/6kg rates, but you'd need to ask your supplier to speak to Tein and ask for 'Lauren spring rates', so I've been told! 5/6kg makes the car a bit more lairy though, so it's not to all tastes. 

Thank you for the heads up on the spring rate, I will ask the question tomorrow, but I think I will end up sticking with the standard Spring rate as the supplier has suggested that there is a huge wait to get hold of the flex z from tein and luckily they have one last set which I have got!

I've got a set of Perrin front end links coming with these FOC which is a bit of luck, I presume for a nice setup I will want to get some rear lca's as well?

You will need offset bushes for the rear to adjust the rear camber after lowering. Or you can spend a load more on lower arms with the adjustment built in to get an easier way to be accurate on rear camber angles. 

I guess you could get another set of springs at a lower rate from Tein if you find the 7/7kg too stiff. Check with them though as I'm not sure whether Tein had adopted a 6/6kg spring rate for the UK as most go for that, with a few going for the 5/6kg rate, but generally people don't go for the 7/7kg rate. Was ironic really as I've only just sent Yukiko (Tein UK) an email tonight about getting a custom setup for my AE86! You can certainly contact Tein though and see what they say. :) 

Ok I will have a look into the offset bushes to see what the deal is, as I've only looked into lca's really, but Like you say they are fairly costly!

I will have a word with my supplier tomorrow on the Spring rates of the flex z and will report back

Hi Mate,

I'm getting mine fitted with Teins on Thursday with Fensport, they are fitting:

Front Camber Adjustment Bolts £29.95 + VAT

Rear SuperPro Camber justment Bush Kit £69.00 + VAT

to help with the 18 x 8.5 235 Et40

Hi Mate,

I'm getting mine fitted with Teins on Thursday with Fensport, they are fitting:

Front Camber Adjustment Bolts £29.95 + VAT

Rear SuperPro Camber justment Bush Kit £69.00 + VAT

to help with the 18 x 8.5 235 Et40

Surely you won't need front camber bolts as the camber is adjustable on the top mount on the fronts?

Unless I'm getting confused with what you are having fitted.

As long as you've got the pillowball top mounts you don't need front camber bolts. Funnily enough a set were supplied with mine, but obviously not fitted as you don't need them. I've got 2 degrees negative camber on my fronts and there is plenty of adjustment left if I ever wanted more. 

1 hour ago, Rallyenick said:

Surely you won't need front camber bolts as the camber is adjustable on the top mount on the fronts?

Unless I'm getting confused with what you are having fitted.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

As long as you've got the pillowball top mounts you don't need front camber bolts. Funnily enough a set were supplied with mine, but obviously not fitted as you don't need them. I've got 2 degrees negative camber on my fronts and there is plenty of adjustment left if I ever wanted more. 

You are both right, just mass copied my original quote from Dan 😊 

Depends on how you want the fronts setup, I got the front camber bolts because Dave at Fensport suggested a bit more aggressive setup by rotating the top mounts so we could have a bit of camber and caster at the same time, if you want just camber then yes you probably won't need front camber bolts but also depends on how much camber you want. The camber bolts and bushes offer about +/-2degrees I believe. Also just a note, both myself and another couldn't get the same amount of adjustment on each corner (it seems that they all differ slightly from factory) so extra adjustment from camber bolts and bushes might help achieve the ideal setup.

I know getting the amount of camber you wanted on the HSD's was an issue Keith, but I've not heard anyone having issues with the Teins. You should be able to adjust castor from the bottom track rod to the body, though rotating the top mounts is sort of another way of doing it I guess. Castor though has the smallest impact and the less impact the quicker you are going. Though I understand what you've done, adjusting castor from the pillowball mounts is not the purpose of them really. 

Not just myself, Kristov had issues with each corner and he just has lowering springs I believe. And from what I've read, adding caster had a variety of benefits, how much of an impact I have no idea but every little bit helps doesn't it?

54 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Not just myself, Kristov had issues with each corner and he just has lowering springs I believe. And from what I've read, adding caster had a variety of benefits, how much of an impact I have no idea but every little bit helps doesn't it?

Kristov would need camber bolts with lowering springs as he would have stock topmounts which are non-adjustable. Castor helps with self-centering the wheel and stability at speed. It has less of an impact in regard to cornering as it's effect is diminished according to steering lock, so the less steering input, the less castor has any effect. 

Sorry yes, Kristov would need camber bolts because he doesn't have adjustable top mounts, my point was that we had problems matching up each corner i.e. one corner you could get -2 deg but the opposite corner could only get to -1.8 deg for example. Having extra adjustment from camber bolts and bushes could then help adjust both sides to match up. That's what I was trying to get at.

That's fine, I understand. It maybe that the HSD's have different top mounts (they do vary in design) and as a result there is less available adjustment. I think for Nick with the Teins he'll have no issue getting a couple of degrees of negative camber on the front. I know that all I've seen with the Tein coilovers don't appear to be maxed out on their adjustment. 

Thanks for all the Input everyone, following on from Lauren's advice I've managed to source a set of SuperPro rear camber control arm bush set from a fellow member brand new but at a good price as he didn't need them.

My Tein flex Z should arrive with me tomorrow, as usual top service from James at amber performance.

James is checking stock on the colourings of the wheels I'm hopefully ordering at the end off the month!! Hhhhmmmm bronze or silver

Keeping it JDM of course

Only a minor update, but I have managed to source myself some nice wheels for a good price, they tick all the boxes (JDM, lightweight and strong)

Specs as below :

Advan Racing RC2 5x100 17x7.5j et35.

They aren't as wide as I had initially hoped to go, but I love the look of the wheels, the fact they are slightly wider than stock a lot lighter than stock wheels and have a nice offset.

And to top it off they seem to be a rare wheel, at least on this platform.

The wheels I have bought will come in white, I don't know whether to leave them white or have the returned in bronze like so in the picture.

0dd716c24210a483a005b4d0f454104c.jpg

I need to get myself some lug nuts and Advan centre caps and new tyres when they arrive.