Sign in to follow this  
chelseablue

Mpg

Had the car two weeks now, just getting more used to it and absolutely loving it, gets better every day, just done a trip to North Wales and got over 42 mpg, measured brim to brim and didn't rely on the trip computer, both motorway and A roads with local trips while there including some spirited driving, more economical than my old 1.8 Celica.

They are good on longer trips. I managed 37mpg on a 2500 mile trip round the Alps and back, which is pretty good really. 

It's around town they don't do so well. I average 29mpg just driving locally. 

Yes, the fuel consumption on this can be good. My record so far is 45.43 mpg (true, computer said 47.x) and I think 50mpg would be possible in the right circumstances. Normally I'm getting mid 30s.

That's what it says in the blurb (mine is an auto btw) I let the cruise take care of most things while on the motorway, I think that was one of the main reasons for the respectable fuel consumption figures

31 on commute, 35 mpg pump to pump, 36.7 on the trip computer (which doesn't count stationary idling). More usefully, 300 - 360 miles range without dipping too far into the reserve.

I'm spending £1000 a year less on fuel in this car than my last. I like this car, even if it is depreciating more than £1000 a year...

8 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

I'm sure it's just an oddity of the official testing system, but aren't the auto's supposed to be better than manual?

The auto has intergalactic gearing which is why. Plus it will upshift sooner. 

The running costs we find excellent for the GT86, even with our turbo setup we still average 30mpg around town/short journeys, and then over 40mpg on a good run.

Can't argue at all with that :) 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

The auto has intergalactic gearing which is why. Plus it will upshift sooner. 

That's part of it, also the EU test is done in specific gears for manuals, whereas autos are just stuck in drive, which favours long gearing on auto boxes.